Pages

Monday 4 April 2016

Finished Piece: 'Time Flies~Purple Rose'

Well, Easter is over and I'm stuffed full of chocolate. :0)

I've also finished my work in progress which I shared with you a while ago, so here it is:



I've called it 'Time Flies~Purple Rose' because it was inspired by old lace, mottled fabric and the timeless quality of the rose. I hoped to represent the passing of time, slightly faded objects, the idea of things that were once new but have mottled and are beginning to wear away. There's also the idea of looking back, wistfulness for the past.

I began by colouring the background fabric, then I splattered paint over it to create the mottled effect. I printed the rose in the centre, then the butterfly and script around it, along with the words 'Time Flies'.



After that, I painted metallic paint on the edge of the petals and hand sewed them with metallic thread to give lustre to the rose. (Also because I like shiny things :0) )





I applied some purple foil in a square around the rose to act as a kind of frame, making the rose the focal point.




I painted strips of lace with varying shades of red, blue and purple, again to give a mottled, slightly faded look.





Then, I machine embroidered the lace in place around the foil square.




I made strips and embroidered them with the same pattern at the edges and then sewed the whole thing together with the backing fabric.



I'm working on another one now in the same style but a different colour; a 'Vintage Rose'. I hope to show you that one soon.

I hope you're having a good start to spring and the sun is shining for you. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog. I love to hear from you.